Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited on Wednesday unveiled an internet telephony service. The new BSNL service will allow users to dial any telephone number in India through its mobile app.
Now, BSNL mobile app “Wings” helps customers to make calls to any phone number in the country. This will include mobile numbers registered with BSNL as well as other telecom operators.
The registration for this service will start this week and the services will be activated from July 25, reported news agency Press Trust of India (PTI).
Here are five things to know about BSNL’s new service:
- “In the present competitive environment, increase in market share by BSNL is laudable. I congratulate BSNL management for internet telephony which will enable consumers to make calls without SIM,” Telecom Minister Manoj Sinha said after inaugurating the service.
- Using this service, BSNL customers will be able to make calls on any network in the country even by using BSNL wi-fi or any other service provider.
- Telecom Commission, highest-decision making body of the Department of Telecom, had allowed companies who hold valid telecom license, to provide app-based calling service even by using wi-fi connection.
- The service provider will be required to comply with all the interception and monitoring related requirements and calls will be charged by telecom operators and all rules related to normal calls will be applicable to them.
- Customers can avail BSNL’s new service from July 25, 2018. The registration for the service will start this week.
This may be an impressive step of BSNL to compete with Jio.